February 9th was an amazing day because it was the day that Tommy entered this world but it was also one of the most difficult days of my life. After fear and uncertainty about how I would even be delivering Tommy as he was not responding well on the monitors, Tommy was born via c-section at 1:42pm but our emotional roller coaster did not end there. We sat in recovery for hours trying to get his sugar levels to stabilize and to try to get him to eat....both were unsuccessful and he was ultimately admitted to the NICU for 13 days. Those NICU days were long and very lonely at times as I sat there just wishing that my baby would start to eat so that I could take him home. There have never been explanations as to why he wasn't eating. He wasn't a preemie and I had a very healthy pregnancy....those who saw me knew that I was eating for two...and then some!! It was difficult sitting there with my baby hooked to monitors with a feeding tube and for several days an IV also questioning why he was sick and if I had somehow caused this.
Amazingly enough though, at 6pm on February 18th....Tommy started to eat and hasn't slowed down since!! I think this is funny because this was a full moon! He kept up his appetite and was able to come home on February 21st.
I remember that day so clearly because while Feb 9th was his birthday, February 21st was the day that I was able to be his mom without wires, tubes and nurse's care. To me, that was when he was finally my baby to care for and raise as I wanted to without following guidelines set by the hospital. I remember walking out of the hospital thinking that the sun had never been brighter nor had I ever been happier than at that moment. It was a deep sigh of relief knowing that he was healthy and I would finally get to experience motherhood. :)
Because I had our upcoming Kindergarten parent meeting that night (my co-teacher was on maternity leave so I had to do it alone...I did mention though that it should be easy since last year I did the meeting while in labor) I took the day off to spend with Tommy. We didn't do much except play, snuggle and nap....it was a perfect day!! :)
 |
| Tommy's coming home outfit!! He's ready! |
 |
| So excited! No wires, no tubes, no nurses!! |
 |
| We're home!! He's so tiny!!! |
 |
| Such a big boy now! |
 |
| Last year he would stay where I set him...now he's on the move! |
 |
| He came home in this hat! |
 |
| Love this boy!! :) |
It's amazing how one day they just "get it" and it sticks (the eating part). It's crazy to see how tiny he was. I mean, I was there and I held him, but I can't believe he was EVER that small!
ReplyDelete