This afternoon Tommy and I were visiting my dad at his house when he got a call from one of his sisters telling him that my grandpa (his dad) was in the hospital. He had choked on his scrambled eggs and they believe he also suffered a heart attack, which killed him. He passed quickly and did not suffer.
My grandpa has been struggling with Parkinson's, diabetes, suffered several heart attacks and strokes and has been receiving dialysis treatments 3 times a week for the past 5 years at least. He suffered a major heart attack several years ago and has not been the same since. When I saw him at our reunion a few weeks ago he just didn't seem like himself. When my dad left to see my grandpa today, I just knew that he had passed without even being told. I just felt it.
My Grandpa Dave was not the gentlest man. He was an ex-marine and union worker at GM in Flint for many years. He had a very tough exterior and wasn't known for using the nicest words...even around us kids. But he always told it like it was and made no apologies for his opinions, like them or not! He was very proud of his family though and both he and my Grandma loved to be surrounded by all their kids and grandkids. They used to fly to Hawaii every year for as long as I can remember until he got sick. Grandma and Grandpa were married for 61 years and made so many wonderful memories! I added it up today and he had 9 kids, 23 grandkids (25 with step), 21 great grandkids (31 with step) and one great, great granddaughter. Our family is quite large but there are still many grandkids who have yet to start their families, we will only get much bigger! (which means that when I do finally get married...knock on wood....I will have a big wedding with just my side alone!!) My grandpa used to yell at us as we ran around during holidays but we always knew that he loved us....just preferred us to go outside. :)
He was a great man who will be missed. I am sad that Tommy will not remember his Great Grandpa but he will definitely see his character in his uncles, Grandpa Jerry and his mom. We will miss you Grandpa. I'm sure Mom will take care of you up there! :)
 |
| Chrismas 1982, I was only 2.5 months old. |
 |
| He was a tough guy but loved his family so much!! |
 |
| My MSU undergrad graduation party summer 2005. |
 |
| Christmas 2010 |
 |
| Tommy might not know his Great Grandpa but will hear lots of stories I'm sure! |
No comments:
Post a Comment