Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tommy's 6 Month Appointment

Tommy had his 6 month appointment yesterday and it went really well!  He is now 26 3/4" long (60%) and 18lbs 5.7oz (70%).  It is amazing how big he had grown!!!  Since I see him everyday, I don't usually notice that he's gotten bigger until I look back at pictures....or after carrying him around for a while! 

He has a little diaper rash and the doctor said that it was pretty common because of moisture being trapped in and the only way to prevent it would be to go diaperless....which is not really an option with a 6 month old!!  A little Vaseline and baby powder will help clear it up though.  He said that most babies get little rashes in the summer in their armpit folds because of sweat and such but Tommy doesn't have that problem.  Unless we go somewhere, Tommy is usually naked.  Even after we go swimming (which he loves), he dries out in the nude before we go home. 

Tommy woke up yesterday with a snotty nose and low fever and the doctor said that he doesn't have an earache and no teeth are coming through yet but it seems like more signs of teething and a little summer cold.  I've been giving him baby Tylenol, which helps.

I asked about solid foods, which Tommy just started eating this weekend.  My doctor said the only food to avoid is honey until he is one year old.  He even gave the ok for peanut butter!  I really like his doctor, he's very realistic!  He's actually an incoming kindergarten dad too...but in the other room.  He said that Tommy can have solid foods 0-3 times a day.  He said that if there is a time when it's just not going to work....it's fine to skip it!  Obviously this boy is not lacking in food seeing as it looks like he ate his 5lb self!!

Then the shots came!  I hate when Tommy gets his vaccines because I hate having to restrain him while he screams.  :(    He had one oral and three in his legs.  The good news is that this is the last round of shots until his 12 month appointment.  At his nine month he'll just get his foot pricked to check the hemoglobin levels.  He's used to that from his NICU stay. 

Tommy fell asleep on the ride home and then slept for about another hour and a half.  I gave him some more Tylenol when he woke up.  He went back to his happy self.  I'm a pretty lucky mom! :)

Playing while we wait.
Now that he's on the move, nothing is safe!

Asleep when we got home.

It's sort of hard to see but Tommy twirls his curls as he falls asleep.  I love it!

Three shots (followed by a nap and Tylenol) and he's still a happy boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment