My parents, Tommy and I were going to participate in a remembrance walk for two baby girls who would have turned 10 this year but did not survive (one was stillborn and another died hours after birth). The proceeds all go to help Munson's NICU. While Tommy's situation was fatal (I could not imagine!), it was a very trying, stressful, emotional time and I am so incredibly thankful for the wonderful care that we received during his 13 day stay. I spent most of the day there with him and received comfort, compassion, companionship and hugs from the nurses that kept watch over my precious baby. Those first few days were the most challenging and difficult times of my life but I was never without support. They understood the emotional roller coaster that the NICU parents were experiencing (sadness, hope, joy, anxiety, etc) and responded to our needs just as much as they attended to our babies.
The nurses are not the only "heroes" of the NICU. I received a lot of support and resources from the social worker, doctors and nurse practitioners and I appreciate every effort they made because I know I was a mess.
If at all possible, please consider helping out other families who are going through this difficult period by donating to the NICU through this wonderful remembrance event. I hope that it happens again next year so that Tommy and I are able to walk proudly with them. :)
 |
| With their help, Tommy went from this skinny baby at 1 day old...... |
 |
| .....to this chunky boy at 6 months. :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment