The song is just very fitting of everything I've been going through for the past 15 months. Last May my plan was to move to a bigger city to teach and finally live my "Carrie" life. I was really interested in moving to Chicago and even looked into renewing my Illinois teaching license. (I transferred my MI one to IL several years ago when I moved back from Baltimore and was first looking to move there) Obviously things didn't quite go that way. The second that I found out that I was pregnant I started making plans for how to come back to Traverse City where all of my family is. I remember talking to my dad on Friday and telling him that I was not ready to come back and then on Monday (I took the first of four pregnancy tests Saturday night) I called his principal and asked her to get me into the TCAPS teaching pool. I was determined to come home, hoping for a teaching job but willing to work even retail if it meant being with my family. In the eight months that followed I moved home, got a new job, learned a new grade level, bought a new car, bought a house, moved in and prepared for a baby....oh yeah, while growing a baby!! I also had to come to terms with how my life was changing and on an uncharted course. I always wanted to have kids but not quite yet and obviously in a different situation.
Truth be told though, I would not have changed everything. Although I was excited yet very nervous about returning to Traverse City, I am so very glad that I did because I couldn't imagine Tommy growing up anywhere else. My family is amazing and are so in love with him! I love to sit back and just watch Tommy with my parents and my brother because he gets so excited when he sees them. I would have really struggled without all their help both pregnancy and after.
Sitting here I can't help but think about all that has happened in such a short time. I have a wonderful job and a beautiful home surrounded by wonderful people and I have the most amazing gift in the world sleeping peacefully in his bed. I honestly never knew that I could love someone so much but he has changed every part of me. I've said it before but it's true that I could never understand how much my parents love(d) me until I had Tommy and then I just got it. I would do anything for that boy for he has brought me so much happiness. I just can't explain!
As the song states:
Every stoplight I didn't make
Every chance that I did or I didn't take
All the nights that went too far
All the girls (boys in my case) that broke my heart
All the doors that I had to close
All the things I knew but I didn't know
Thank God for all I missed
'Cause it led me here to this
Another line that makes me smile is:
Oh I cried when my momma passed away
And now I got an angel
Looking out for me today
So nothing's a mistake
(Thanks Mom!)
No comments:
Post a Comment